- Study guide will be mailed to you.
- Read and review the course. When ready, complete your final exam in the Education Center Online.
- After achieving a passing grade, print your certificate of completion. Results are regularly uploaded to the IRS and CTEC.
- Note: Final exam can be completed up to one year from time of shipment.
This course provides continuing professional education to enhance competence in preparing income tax returns for individuals who moved from one state to another during the tax year. Subject matter includes determination of deductible moving expenses, tax issues associated with sale or purchase of a home, differences in tax reporting rules in different states, establishment of domicile, and analysis of related documents provided by an employer.
Our courses are valid for CPAs, EAs, and tax preparers in all 50 states! (More)
Chapter 1: Deduct Allowable Moving Expenses
Chapter 2: Home Sale or Purchase
- Determine whether a taxpayer's move meets the test for being closely related to the start of work.
- Determine whether a taxpayer's move meets the distance test.
- Determine whether an individual's employment meets the time test.
- Compute expenses eligible for a deduction for moving expenses.
- Analyze tax situations relating to moving expenses reimbursed by an employer.
Chapter 3: Multi-State Tax Issues
- Analyze the tax effects of a sale of a home.
- Analyze the tax effects of the purchase of a home.
- Apply rules for exclusion of gain on the sale of a home sold because the taxpayer relocated.
- Determine whether taxable income is generated when an employer makes reimbursement for home sale or purchase costs.
- Recognize tax issues involved when a taxpayer relocates but the prior house remains unsold and/or rented.
Chapter 4: Other Moving Issues
- Recognize how tax information is reported in different states.
- Allocate taxable income for married couples in community property states.
- Allocate pension income to the proper state after an individual has moved.
- Recognize the effects of reciprocal agreements between states.
- Apply special rules for moves between states for Military Personnel.
- Recognize tax traps related to establishing domicile.
- Maximize qualified noncash charitable contributions made because the taxpayer was moving.
- Report tax items properly in cases where an individual lives in one state and works in another.
- Recognize specific tax issues involved when an individual moves to another state to retire.
- Analyze Forms W2 for proper reporting when an individual has wages in different states from the same employer.
You will enjoy our courses! In fact, the average satisfaction rating for our courses is 4.9 out 5. It is our passion to provide the best courses at the best prices.
||Price Per Hour
|20 Online Credit Hours - Best Value!
|8 Online Credit Hours
|1 Online Credit Hour
|4 Hour Printed Course
|3 Hour Printed Course
|2 Hour Printed Course
Determine which format you prefer.
|Study Guide Format
||PDF Format - print yourself or review online.
||Study guide will be mailed to you.
||Use your credit hours to complete any CPE/CE course.
||Select courses available in print.
||Available immediately! New courses released throughout the year.
||New courses are released yearly in September.
||Final exams are completed online. No extra charges for grading.
"Accurate and very well thought out. TMI you people are the best at taxes!"
"Great way to present these confusing topics, made it easy to understand."
"Thank you! Material was easy to read and understand."